Friday, June 30, 2006

Everything You Know Is Wrong pt5

So now I had compiled a list, a series of circumstances, that I found unsatisfactory, especially in the light of the current popular philosophy. Now as an aside, if you don't believe you have a philosophy, or think philosophically, then firstly you probably wouldn't be reading this anyway, and secondly by philosophy I just mean a world view. Eveyone has a world view, whether you are an atheist, a agnostic, a theist, an existentialist, or hold some other belief. Everyone thinks something about the world, but few people can articulate it. Just the same, everyone has a theology, despite many people not being able to tell you what theirs is. Theology is simply what a person believes about God, and eveyone has a theology simply because they believe something about God, even if that belief is that he doesn't exist.

Now back on topic, the purely scientific-based, atheistic, materialistic philosophy that is so common today simply could not answer any of my questions that I have raised in the previous discussion. I had the dilemma of holding evidence for something that the current philosophy did not even attempt to address. It was like half the world was blind to half of reality that existed. To me, the spirituality of man (in his morality, valour, love, compassion, nobility, and culture) is simply not addressed in the evolutionary model, nor any of the other secular worldviews that pervade our culture. The different between man and the beasts is not a small gap but rather a vast chasm. Without attributing some external factor, nothing made sense, and there was no reason or purpose in life; something that I had a great need and desire for.

Sometime before I had thought all this out, I had this absolute, permeating sense of God's presence. I don't know how or why, but somehow God had impressed upon me the reality of His existence and presence in this world; in His words, "I am". I did very little with this piece of knowledge for quite some time. I suppose that the concept of submission to Authority was unappealing, as the reality that my life would be controlled by some power did not seem like fun. I liked being the controlling one in my own life, and resented the idea of God interfering, and although I couldn't avoid His existence, I could still refuse to submit. And for a while I succeeded, but a time came when I could no longer ignore the truths that kept becoming evident in my mind. Long before I had all this worked out (and I confess that I still really don't have it all worked out), I made a decision to give in to the compelling pull of a God who would not give up on me. Over the years, I began to realise how all these problems that I had identified within myself and the world, were answered, everyone of them, by Christianity and Christianity alone.
It wasn't that the other worldviews attempted to address the problems and had come up short. No, the fact was that they didn?t even try to address them at all.

My sense of disconnectedness to the world: answered by Christianity.
My sense of disconnectedness with myself: answered by Christianity.
My conviction that all mankind was disconnected from nature, both more noble and more base at the same time: answered by Christianity.
The fact that half the world was unaware of most of this: answered by Christianity.
The problem of evil, pain and injustice in this world: answered by Christianity.

There were also many other deeply philosophical questions, as well as more frivolous ones, of which I have not discussed here, that were answered comprehensively only by Christianity.

Perhaps later I will discuss how Christianity so thoroughly and convincingly addressed these issues, but for the moment, suffice to say that every difficult question I had about the reality of man and the world was comprehensively answered in Christianity and the person of Jesus Christ.
I had taken a journey and made a discovery, only to find that my discovery was already discovered. Men had discovered it 2000 years ago, and so many foolish people today were passing it off as old-fashioned and irrelevant, not realising that they had just thrown out the baby with the bath water.

Chesterton wrote:
" In eradicating all remnants of God from the world we have stripped our own lives of meaning. We want to remove the Ten Commandments and yet we want to be able to cry injustice. We want to remove the Cross, and yet we want people to live lives of forgiveness and freedom from guilt. We have become so open minded that we fail to see the inconsistencies in our own declarations. We are chewing on imaginary food and complaining about the flavor."

In context of this last comment, I was starving to death, and now I had finally found real food!

No comments: