Sunday, December 02, 2007

Blame shifters

I have seen my fair share of road rage on the streets. Sometimes it is directed at me, and other times at other drivers.
Recently I watched as a young female driver indicated to change lanes from the left lane to the one I was in. She was a little in front of me so there was no chance that she would hit me, however she was directly beside another car. As she began changing lanes she failed to notice her fellow motorist until the last minute when she violently swerved back into her lane.

The strange thing was that there was nobody in front of her, so there was no real reason for changing lanes. The next right hand turn was quite a few kilometres further up the road, so this was not a valid reason either.
Then as I began passing her car she indicated again and began to swerve towards me. Fearing a collision due to her clear inability to notice other cars around her, I hit the horn in order to warn her of my presence. After swerving back to her lane again she proceeded to hurl violent abuse at me and gave me "the finger". I was gobsmacked at her lack of proper mental faculties with which to realise her fault in the matter.
I suppose bad drivers are a pet hate of mine, and I was tempted to be incensed at her stupidity, but instead I feel sad for a generation of young people that are so selfish and arrogant that they are unable to recognise when they have made a mistake, and instead blame innocent people around them.

I am old enough to remember good motoring ettiquette, and young enough to partially understand the youth of today, but it makes me wonder what causes people to be so arrogantly pig-headed on the road. Is it personality, upbringing, culture, or just bad genetics?

Are people no longer being taught how to think properly? One of the Quotes of the day today was this "We can have facts without thinking but we cannot have thinking without facts." - John Dewey
I believe that many people just don't seem to be able to consciously engage their minds to be critically aware of what goes on around them. I know this first hand because I suffer the pain of regularly dealing with someone close to me who embodies this lack of perception. When you can't think about what is happening in your world, you are simply tossed around by circumstances and the consequences that apply to you, with no understanding of your personal control over the situation. When you don't think, and you believe that the world just happens to you, then I guess you are left with no option but to blame some one else.

Who have you blamed today?

No comments: