Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Australian Idol (shower version)

Sometimes I fancy myself as a bit of a singer.

It usually happens when I am in the shower making up some crazy melody that I belt out at the top of my lungs. For a moment I think that I could really write a good song if I could just get that melody down and figure out some chords to support it. More often than not, it slips from my mind when I am in front of the computer ready to lay it down. Then briefly I feel like the character in Tenacious D's Tribute. If you are not familiar with this song then I will explain. The character in the song meets the Devil, who demands that he play the best song in the world or the Devil will eat his soul. Spontaneously he begins to play, and it just so happened to be the best song in the world. Unfortunately he cannot remember the tune, and goes on to say that this song doesn't sound anything like it, but if you were there you would have believed it.

Tribute


Now I am really just being humourous in the way that Jack Black was, because I don't really consider myself to be a very good singer (I certainly wouldn't ever consider doing something as stupid as entering Australian Idol), but this morning as I sang away with unselfconscious abandon, I really did think I hit a good tune. Perhaps it was because I was in a really funky mood or maybe it was merely because I was singing a praise to God that I really meant, but it flowed and rhymed like I have never done before. It was like I was inspired. "What a great song!" I thought, I really should record that.

As I was coming down the stairs and the tune mercilessly faded from my mind I realised something with percussive clarity. Whether or not what I had sung was the best song in the world (of course I am sure that it was not) it didn't really matter because it didn't need to be recorded. How convenient I hear you say! However one thing I know, is that the song was heard by someone. In fact, it was heard at least by the person that it was spontaneously written and performed for (and perhaps a few of my neighbours as well whether they wanted to or not). Nobody else needed to hear it though. If I had a need to perform it in front of people it might actually be because of a sense of pride - a puffed up self importance, or the desire for someone to recognise my skill in performing, or even my abilities as a songwriter. But that would just water down and corrupt the real beauty of an inspired audience with God. And what is the prime purpose of man if it is not to give praise and recognition to that which is infinitely greater than he, and from whom he receives all good things. It is the best of celebrations.

No man need know, nor congratualte, nor verify me, nor acknowledge any great thing that I might claim about myself. The one greater than all has already done so in a way so profound that even if there were no other happy moments in my life until the passing of it, joy would still abound unending.

No comments: